Nothing beats the smell, of a roast cooking, it sort of clarifies it is Sunday to me, lets me breathe a sigh of relief, a day of rest and recuperation. A day I don’t need to feel guilty, if I read, sit, stare and look. Don’t get me wrong, there are still jobs I must attend to..but for some reason on a Sunday they don’t feel like chores.
Preparing the veggies, and accompaniments is a family affair. my OH peeling potatoes. I DON’T DO potatoes, well I dislike peeling them. Little Nell, slices the Runner Beans, with our handy slicer. No 1 son, whisks up the Yorkshire Pudding batter, nobody makes Yorkshires like him…of course I’ve taught him all he knows. No 1 daughter isn’t to keen to come into the kitchen, well when I’m in there anyway…not that I’m controlling or anything…but it is MY domain. So she uses her creative talents, to lay the table, picking flowers from the our mountain and garden at La Rosilla, and setting place names…even though we always sit in the same space, but these little touches, always gives us our Sunday sense of occasion. Family togetherness, memories and traditions.
One thing we do like to make for our lunch, is home-made stuffing, just some much tastier, healthier and delicious, than the packet type, of dried unrecognisable contents. It’s so easy too, and all with ingredients we often have at home. There is no hard and fast recipe to stick too, but this one I’ve made up is fab.
LEMON & HERB STUFFING.
- 2 Good handfulls of fresh breadcrumbs,
- mixed with the zest of 1 lemon ,
- a handfull of fresh chopped herbs from the garden – I used Thyme, Oregano, Parsley, Sage & rosemary.
- Add 1 finely chopped onion and garlic that has been sauteed in a little butter until softened.
- Add a few chopped walnuts.
- Mix in one egg to bind slightly. then season generously.
- Pop in a oven proof dish , and bake for 20 mins.
Enjoy with any roast meat, and also great eaten cold, for lunch the next day.