This weeks #cookfromthebooks recipe was taken and adapted from the book ‘Perfect host’ by Felicity Cloake, recipes for feeding people and having fun. Some great easy to follow recipes, ideas and hosting suggestions for whatever type of gathering you may choose, from friends round for tea, student food or gala dinners. Clear instructions, but the book personally I feel could benefit from more photos of completed dishes – A picture sells a thousand recipes 😉
The dish I chose was Savoy cabbage and bacon gratin. A delicious accompaniment to our favourite griddled lamb cutlets with mint. A speedy and comforting Saturday supper, in front of the fire.
My adaptation, included reducing the cream content and not blanching the cabbage, slightly cutting time & calories 😉
SAVOY CABBAGE AND BACON GRATIN
Not my best food photo, but we were eating by candle and firelight (romantic) and we were ravenous to get stuck in 😉
Salt & pepper
1/2 large savoy cabbage, shredded
a little olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
200g chopped bacon or pancetta
200ml double cream
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
50 g fresh breadcrumbs
15 g parmesan
HERES HOW ….
- In a large pan, saute the onion until soft and golden
- add the bacon bits and fry until quite crispy
- mix cream with mustard and add to pan
- stir in cabbage & season with s & P
- tip into a large baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 mins
- remove foil, sprinkle breadcrumbs and parmesan over, season and bake until golden.
FAMILY RATING 9/10
I think this will become a regular at La Rosilla on casual weekends, think it would be tasty to add on the side some roasted or griddled tomatoes with herbs to cut through the richness.
* a tip for breadcrumbs – I keep a bag of breadcrumbs that I whizz up from all the odds and ends of bread I make, and use straight from the freezer, a handful at a time – Great for gratins, and home made stuffings.
If you would like to join in this years challenge of #cookfromthebooks I would be delighted Just add the hashtag #cookfromthebooks and add the logo below & link to this site.