Saturday night arrived and the familiar, family questions of ‘What’s for supper Mum’ were being heard…’Something new’ I replied.
So I begin my personal challenge for the year #cookfromthebooks.
This weeks recipe book picked, was the delightful, artistic and beautifully written Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros.
I actually picked 2 recipes this week, to make a complete family supper. All the ingredients I had in the cupboards or fridge and both dishes could be prepared simply, which was a bonus after a hard but satisfying day, building new fencing on the mountain for our ponies new paddock.
I adapted the recipes, as I do 😉 just to add other dimensions and what I had in stock.
The first Pumpkin Pizza.
Not an ordinary pizza, by using pumpkin as the base instead of dough, you get a sweet and unctuous taste.
1 small pumpkin – I used a butternut squash very thinly sliced lengthways. (some care needed here, use a very sharp knife)
1 onion, finely sliced.
1 jar of passata – I used ‘frito’
1 ball of buffalo mozzarella
handful of grated strong cheddar
Here’s how …
- drizzle OO in base of oven proof baking dish, layer the pumpkin, seasoning as you go.
- spread the passata over pumpkin, and bake in oven for 40 mins.
- tear up mozzarella and sprinkle on-top of dish with cheddar
- sprinkle over oregano and bake for 10 more mins until bubbling.
FAMILY RATING 8/10
Recipe 2, Chicken escalopes with tomatoes and capers.
Fresh and vibrant tasting, with piquancy from the capers.
4 chicken fillets
plain flour for dusting
handful of cherry toms
glug of white wine
3 cloves of garlic peeled and bashed but left whole
tbs of capers drained & rinsed.
tbs of chopped fresh parsley
- dust the chicken fillets with flour
- heat a little OO in large frying pan
- add garlic and tomatoes, saute until tomatoes start to pucker
- remove toms to a warm plate
- add chicken to pan and fry until golden on both sides, watch the garlic so it doesn’t burn
- add the wine to the pan let bubble, put toms back in
- sprinkle with parsley season and add capers
- put a lid on and take pan off heat and let stand for a few mins, before serving.
FAMILY RATING 8/10
If you would like to join in this years challenge of #cookfromthebooks I would be delighted 🙂 Just add the hashtag #cookfromthebooks and add the logo below & link to this site.